Round the World

Monday, September 20, 2010

Ilha Grande, Brazil


As I set off along the southern coast of Brazil on my journey to Ilha Grande, the first thing I noticed was the severe poverty on the outskirts of Rio de Janeiro. It is a buzzing city with such a bright future, especially with the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Olympic Games being held in the city. However after seeing the shocking living conditions that many of the Rio natives have to endure it makes you wonder do the Brazilian government have their priorities in order.

The journey to Ilha Grande was long, beginning with a spectacular bus ride along the coast to Angra dos Reis, where after a 3 hour wait I boarded a catamaran which took me safely to the ´Big Island´, its English translation.

However it wasn´t all a bed of roses. No sooner had I checked in to my hostel I was greeted with a relentless thunderstorm, which lasted throughout the next day, subjecting me to a hammock and Ronnie Delaney´s autobiography for the entire day.

My patience was eventually rewarded when the sun finally arrived, giving me the opportunity to explore and do proper justice to this haven for scenery and nature. The island is simply stunning, with its numerous trails and hikes through tropical rain forests and spectacular beaches, none more stunning than Lopes Mendez, considered by many as the most beautiful in all of Brazil. There are times on this island, when in the middle of an exhausting trek, you would be forgiven for thinking you are the only person on the planet, with nothing but the sounds of birds chirping and monkeys growling and God knows what else to accompany you. I even encountered a snake during my journey into the forest. Needless to say I turned back in the direction I came from until it migrated away!

There are about 5,000 people living on this island, many of whom live in the charming, if not a little tourist orientated, village of Vila do Abraao. No automobiles are allowed on this island. The only method of transport is by foot, or by boat. And I was thanking my lucky stars that these boats were in such ready supply. After a 1 hour trek to a small beach I discovered I was the only one there. I was promised that there would be regular boats there to bring me back to the village. However 15 minutes I was there and no sign of it. Just as I had resigned my faith to having to trek all the way back to Abraao, this taxi boat arrives out of nowhere. How much I ask. 10 Reais (about 4.50 euro)!! For a 30 minute taxi boat home! Serious value for money!

Tomorrow I leave this gorgeous island and continue my journey on to Paraty. But for now I have a steak and chips and a delightful Caiprinhia waiting for me.

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment